Penny Palace

Penny Palace

Sunday, September 19, 2021

A Half Inch Matters

 Over the past few months our dear friends of 50 years have been downsizing their three bedroom home in order to move into a much smaller retirement cottage.  Meals and housekeeping services are provided in the new residence.  Needless to say almost everything from furniture to cookware needed to be “repurposed”.

 

Doc and I both REALLY liked a well-made wood Media Cabinet.  It held over 1,000 CDs which were part of Donald’s prized music collection.  (See photo).  Doc and I took measurements and tried to fit it in all sorts of places inside our house.  There seemed to be no place where it would work.  We were so disappointed.  



The media cabinets (there were two) were put up for sale at the Estate Sale and then on line.  Eventually one of the cabinets was sold.  After a few weeks, Jeanne asked me to contact the buyer of those 1000+ CDs and DVDs to see if he wanted to purchase that second cabinet.  My heart was heavy.  I did not want to give up on that piece.  Aside from being practical and beautiful, it also held sentimental value for us.  Donald was Best Man at our wedding, so this cabinet sort of represented him and things he valued

 

As I set out for a brief walk last week I started brainstorming with the Angels/Powers that Be.  “Hi Guys.  Would you talk to me for a few minutes about that media cabinet?  I only have a few CDs, so that cabinet would look pretty empty and underused for that purpose.  WHAT ELSE could it be used for?  Books?  Not wide enough.  Office supplies?  Ugly.”

 

Then I had this “impression” of the Media Cabinet fitting under our spiral staircase with TRAVEL MUGS in it!  Several people had recently asked me about displaying the mugs Doc and I have collected from the countries we have visited.  Wow!  What a great concept!  Thanks Angels.  

 

COINcidence?  Recently Doc and I were on a long drive.  To pass the time we listed all the countries we had visited together.  Came up with about 18.  There are approximately 20 shelves in this cabinet.  A shelf for each mug!!!!

 

Doc and I measured the height under the staircase at 61 ¼ inches.  The cabinet is 62” high!!!  POOP!!!!!  ¾” too tall.  Doc said to get the unit anyhow and we would figure out something.

 

We went to obtain the unit.  The base was solid, but there were little feetsies which could be removed to gain ¼”.  But that still left A HALF INCH to deal with.  The entire way home I was “discussing things” with Source/God/the Angels or any other Divine beings which cared to get involved.  I was challenging them: “YOU showed me the vision of this cabinet under the spiral staircase.  Why would you do that if it was not going to fit?  So are you going to raise my spiral staircase by ½”?  Are you going to shrink the wood cabinet?  I don’t have any answers, so this is now YOUR problem.  YOU figure it out!





When we arrived home Doc suggested we put the cabinet close to where we wanted it to be positioned.  Then we could determine some strategies.  We put it up against the wall and slid it toward the staircase.  IT FIT!!!!!!  No way!  How could this be?  It turns out that Doc and I had measured the clearance at the center pole of the spiral staircase.  The stair treads actually taper ever so slightly on each step.  Can you believe it?  The Universe/God/Source essentially raised the staircase!!!!!

 

Once again the Penny Palace experienced an example of the seemingly Impossible Becoming Possible.

 

1 comment:

Susan said...

That is so beautiful Tina. What a special story and history of the cabinet and your friend. Wonderful that it all worked out through faith and expectancy.