Penny Palace

Penny Palace

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Moving Out

Today was the final session to take our belongings out of the cabin.  My heart was heavy.  I had written a heart-felt letter ten days ago to the new owner asking him which things he wanted and if we could perhaps meet with him, tell him some of the “stories” about the place and share with him the special Memory Album.  He never responded.
We arrived at the cabin at 11 a.m. and packed up a first load which we transported to the Mountain Thrift store.  We took more than I originally planned because if the new owner was going to be rude and ignore me, then I was not going to be overly generous with him.

My plans were to be driving away from the cabin by 3 p.m.  Doc and I were packing and loading to meet that deadline.  Approximately 2:58 p.m. a guy pulled up in front of the house and asked if Doc was the plumber there to fix things!  I went out to drag Doc back inside when this stranger informed us that HE was the new buyer!!!!!  He was driving from Lancaster back to Palm Springs where he was staying, but he was “nudged” to drive past the cabin.  That would be one heck of a detour!  Was that COINcidence?

I asked J.B. how he had planned to get inside the house.  He said he was merely going to drive past.   So of course we invited him in.  (So much for that 3 p.m. deadline).  I spent probably 45 minutes with him showing him everything from the blueprints of the house to the owner’s manuals, lockbox, controls, cuckoo clock, and of course, the precious Memory Album and Visitor’s Log. 

Doc and New Owner J.B.
I finally asked J.B. why he had never responded to my letter?  He said he never saw it.  That time together was really nice.  My hurt was healed and there were hugs exchanged before J.B. left.  He promised he would take good care of the place.


Remember the COINcidence on November 25th about the cuckoo clock?  It gets even better.  My father had hung the clock on the wall when he visited.  Since I did not know how to operate the weights, I had never heard the clock chime.  When I took down the clock to dust it and get it ready for Neighbor Debbie, it chimed for me!  And the little carved figure came out of the doorway.  Special JOY moment and tears streaming.


Chaz DeSimone said...

I have not seen any previous post (like J.B. never saw your letter) so don't know why you're moving out of the cabin. I hope it's for a good reason. Maybe you were supposed to give all that stuff to the thrift store. That cuckoo clock is beautiful! It's one of my favorite things--I'd like to go to the Black Forest and bring home the largest, loudest (even gaudiest) cuckoo clocks I can find!

JR said...

Chaz - there's a great cuckoo clock shop at 467 Alisal Rd Solvang. It is a little closer than the Black Forest. We got our large cuckoo clock there; besides the bowing bird behind the door, it has birds on the front that pivot while chiming.