Penny Palace

Penny Palace

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Branching Out



Most of you know that the Penny Palace has lots of “items of interest”.  (Weird stuff).  In the past three months I have been working on the idea of creating a 9 ft. tall  Eucalyptus tree in the Australian-themed Guest Area.

A while back I did a favor for a friend and in a phone call she said “Thanks. Is there anything I can do for you?”  I sarcastically said, sure!  Find me a section of Eucalyptus cutting to make my tree”. She did!  It was gorgeous, but only 6 ft. long.

Then when another friend and I were walking she asked if there was anything I needed.  I jokingly replied, “Sure - a TEN ft. section of Eucalyptus tree”.  Within a day she had one for me!  WOW!

Doc, a neighbor and I spent a few hours yesterday creating the trunk.  Looks good.  We needed branches.  So I posted a WANTED ITEM this morning on www.freecycle.org.  Within an hour Linda emailed and said I could cut branches off the tree behind her house!

Doc and I gathered an 8 ft. ladder, cutters, bow saw, bags, gloves and other gear.  As we were driving to Linda’s we noticed dozens and dozens of Eucalyptus trees along the streets and freeway. Most of the lower branches were at least 15 ft. above the ground.  Yikes!

We arrived at Linda’s and found several Eucalyptus trees with branches at heights we could reach. Whew!  Then I spotted a huge, very old and grand looking tree.  It had so much character.  It almost seemed to welcome me.  Lying at the base of this magnificent tree was a branch such as I was seeking!  The only tools needed to retrieve it were my fingers to pick it up!

ASK, then have FAITH!

Dinner on the Patio


Note:  This evening Doc and I ate dinner on the patio accompanied by the music of the running waterfall.  First time the two of us had a sit-down meal together out there. Wonderful!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great story. Powerful ending with that great old tree just waiting for you.

You and Doc are incredible people. I'm glad you enjoyed your first dinner on the patio. But I notice you're not the only ones who came to dinner.